Serve with rice.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1 1/2 pounds baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- Grated peel of 1 lemon, plus wedges, for serving
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large fillets sole (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- In a large skillet, bring 1 cup water to a boil over medium heat. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 4 minutes. Drain in a colander, pressing to remove any excess moisture.
- In the same skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the onion and lemon peel and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm. Wipe out the skillet and reserve.
- Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper and coat with the flour. In a shallow dish, beat the eggs. In the skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat . Working in batches, dip the fillets in the egg, then cook, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes; drain on paper towels. Reserve the skillet, pouring off any fat.
- In the skillet, bring the chicken broth to a boil and cook until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the fish and spinach among 4 plates and top the fish with the butter sauce. Serve with the lemon wedges.
- Use flounder instead of the sole.