Potatoes and eggs nestled with smoked fish makes a dish that works for brunch, lunch or dinner.
Makes: 10 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 1 hr
- 1/3cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large spanish onions, sliced into thin rings
- 5 medium russet potatoes (2 pounds), thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces sliced smoked salmon
- 7 large eggs
- In a 12-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until it ripples. Lower the heat to medium and add a layer of onions. Top with a thin layer of potato slices, season with salt and pepper, then add another layer of onions, potatoes, salt and pepper. Add the smoked salmon in a single layer. Continue layering the onions and potatoes, seasoning as you go. Let the layers cook, pressing down gently to flatten. After 10 minutes, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the vegetables soften, up to 25 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and pour them into the skillet, lifting the layers with a spatula to let the eggs in. Jiggle the skillet to prevent sticking. Return to low heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and shake gently.
- Preheat the broiler. Place the skillet about 3 inches from the heat and cook until golden, about 6 minutes. Let rest for 20 minutes. Shake the pan gently to loosen the tortilla, place a serving plate over the top and flip to release.