Cook one meal now and freeze two meals for later.
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 2 2 pound bags frozen, raw shrimp (31 to 40 per pound)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 links precooked chicken-apple sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Divide the shrimp into 3 portions: Place 1 portion in a large bowl of cold water to thaw. Place 1 each of the remaining portions in 2 resealable 1-gallon freezer bags; label and freeze.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the rice and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the tomatoes and their juices; season with salt and pepper. Transfer two-thirds of the rice mixture to a bowl; let cool. Stir 2 cups chicken broth into the rice in the skillet.
- Cook one meal now: Bring the rice mixture to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 17 minutes. Drain the thawed shrimp and add to the rice mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until opaque, about 5 minutes.
- Freeze two meals for later: Divide the rice mixture in the bowl between 2 resealable 1-gallon freezer bags. Pour 2 cups chicken broth into each freezer bag; seal, label and freeze. THAW 1 bag of shrimp and 1 bag of rice per meal in the refrigerator overnight. Cook as directed in Step 3.