This dish is great as an appetizer (one scallop per plate) or as a main (about three scallops per person).
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 5 mins
- 12 sea scallops, trimmed of connective tissue
- Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- 3 navel oranges, peeled and sliced into 12 rounds
- 1 sprig fresh oregano, leaves stripped and finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (about a palmful)
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pat the scallops dry. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add a drizzle of EVOO to the pan, then, using a paper towel, spread the olive oil around the pan. Add the scallops and cook, without moving, until caramelized, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Arrange the orange slices on a platter and top with the oregano, parsley and scallions; season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle EVOO over the oranges and top each with a scallop.