Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage, casings discarded
- 2 zucchini, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and 3 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, breaking it up, over medium heat until no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a plate. Add the zucchini to the skillet and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Return the sausage to the skillet, add the remaining 1 cup chicken broth and 1/2 cup water and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice along with 1/2 cup Parmesan, the parsley and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and the pine nuts.
- Skip the sausage and cook the zucchini in extra-virgin olive oil with corn kernels and sliced mushrooms.