Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2tablespoons EVOO
- 1 1/2tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup store-bought kalamata olive tapenade
- 16 slices pumpernickel bread
- 2 1/2pounds deli-sliced roast beef
- 1 large bunch watercress, tough stems removed
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 500 degrees . In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, EVOO, brown sugar, crushed red pepper and salt. Spread onto a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until the liquid has evaporated and the tomatoes are slightly charred, about 25 minutes. Transfer the tomatoes to a bowl and stir in the tapenade.
- Spread the tomato jam over 8 bread slices. Layer each with roast beef, watercress and a non-jammy bread slice.