For a bonus flavor boost, grill the ears of cornbefore slicing off the kernels.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Grill: 10 mins
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 4 yellow summer squash (about 1 1/2 lbs.), halved crosswise and each half cut lengthwise into 3 thick slabs
- 1/4cup plus 2 tbsp. EVOO
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/4cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears of corn), or use frozen
- 1 container (15 oz.) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, brush the squash pieces with 1/4 cup EVOO and season with salt. Grill, turning once, until nicely charred, about 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, coarsely chop.
- In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, corn and 2 tbsp. EVOO. Add the squash, ricotta, garlic and thyme; toss well. Add the pasta and stir in about 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water. Season to taste with salt and pepper; add more cooking water as desired.
- Grill the squash up to 2 days ahead and refrigerate.