This may look like Chinese take-out, but the maple-chipotle flavor makes for a northwestern American surprise.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, 1/4 finely chopped, 3/4 thinly sliced
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds chicken meat (tenders; skinless, boneless breasts; skinless, boneless thighs), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning blend, such as Montreal Steak Seasoning blend by McCormick
- 2 - 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce, such as tamari (eyeball it)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 10 - 12 water chestnuts, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 3 tablespoons canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped (available in the international foods aisle), or 1 1/2 tablespoons ground chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (a palmful)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons honey (2 healthy drizzles)
- 1/4- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (eyeball it)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons cilantro or parsley leaves (a handful), chopped, your preference
- 1 cup raw cashews
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil (1 turn of the pan) and the butter. When the butter melts into the oil, add the chopped onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add the rice and cook for 3 minutes more. Add the chicken stock and cover the pot. Raise the heat and bring the stock to a rapid boil. Once the stock boils, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender, about 18 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, make the chicken. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Season the chicken with the grill seasoning. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (2 turns of the pan) and then the chicken. Brown the chicken on both sides, season with the soy sauce, then move the chicken to 1 side of the pan. Add the sliced onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the water chestnuts and green peas, and mix the vegetables and chicken together. Add the chipotle chiles and cumin. Toss to coat. Glaze the chicken mixture with the honey and maple syrup and turn off the heat. Add the chopped cilantro or parsley (whichever you prefer) and the cashews.
- Spoon the rice into bowls, top with the cashew chicken and serve.