Celebrate Mardi Grasor any Tuesday, come to think of itwith this classic Bayou dish.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 15 mins
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 bunches Swiss chard, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 18 oysters, chopped
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Add the onion, garlic and butter and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and cook until wilted, 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander and squeeze out any excess liquid. Reserve the skillet.
- Add the cream and nutmeg to the skillet and boil until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Stir the chard mixture into the cream. Add the oysters and 1/2 cup parmesan; season with salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture into a greased 3-quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup parmesan and the bread crumbs; sprinkle over the gratin. Bake until golden and bubbling around the edges, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.
- Slice the stalk out from the center of each leaf of Swiss chard before chopping it.