Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the orzo until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook until just golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the half-and-half and 3/4 cup parmesan cheese and simmer, whisking often, until just thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked orzo, reserved pasta water and the peas; season with salt and pepper. Cook until warmed through. Remove from the heat and fold in the spinach and scallions. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 3/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Save 10 minutes: Use the cooked orzo from Monday and use 1/2 cup chicken broth instead of reserved pasta cooking water.
- Toss leftovers with arugula to make a peppery pasta salad.
- Skip the onion and saute the sliced white portions of the scallions instead.