Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 12 ounces cajun-style andouille sausage, cut crosswise into 3/4 -inch chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped, plus celery leaves for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch cayenne pepper or a few dashes hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cans (15 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 cups long-grain rice, rinsed
- In a dutch oven, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the sausage, onion, celery, bay leaf, thyme and cayenne; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Using a fork, mash 1/2 cup beans and add them to the pot. Add the remaining beans and the stock; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the rice and 2 cups water. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked through, 20 to 22 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.
- Divide the rice among individual bowls. Serve with the beans and sausage; top with the celery leaves.