Rub-a-dub-dub: Garlic, chili powder and lemon juice make an intensely flavorful rub for roast chicken.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Roast: 40 mins
- 5 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 16 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken breast halves (12 oz. each)
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine the EVOO, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. chili powder and 1/2 tsp. salt.
- In a 9-by-13-inch baking pan, toss the carrots and 12 cloves garlic with 1/4 cup of the lemon-chili mixture. Place the pan in a cold oven and heat to 400 degrees .
- Meanwhile, peel and grate the remaining 4 cloves garlic into a small bowl. Stir in 2 tbsp. lemon juice and the remaining 4 tsp. chili powder. Rub the garlic-chili paste evenly onto the chicken flesh under the skin; rub some over the skin, too. Let sit until the oven and pan are preheated.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken, skin side up, over the vegetables in the baking pan. Roast until cooked through but still juicy, about 40 minutes.
- In a salad bowl, toss the romaine and cilantro with the remaining lemon-chili mixture. Serve with the chicken.