The spices used to season the meat form a flavorful crust that adds a slight crunch.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 3 hrs
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 2 racks pork baby back ribs (about 5 pounds total)
- 2 8 ouncecans tomato sauce
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees . In a small bowl, whisk together the paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Run a paring knife down the length of the bone side of each rack to split the skin, then season all over with the rub.
- Arrange the ribs, meaty side down, in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast, turning halfway through, until very tender, about 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the tomato sauce, onion, vinegar, brown sugar and hot sauce to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cut the racks into individual ribs and serve with the sauce on the side.
- Double the rub and sprinkle the extra over a chicken before roasting.