Toss this sauce with 1 pound cooked pasta.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 1 hr 45 mins
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chopped canned peeled tomatoes
- 1/3 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine 1/2 cup chopped onion and 2 tablespoons each extra-virgin olive oil and butter over high heat. Cook until golden, then stir in 3/4 pound ground beef and cook for 5 minutes; season with salt. Add 1/2 cup white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in 2 cups chopped canned peeled tomatoes with their juice, season with salt, bring to a simmer and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Add 1/3 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese when tossing with pasta. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
- For a sweeter, mellower sauce, cook chopped onions until softened in a combination of extra-virgin olive oil and butter for your base.
- For a more pungent sauce, cook finely chopped garlic in extra-virgin olive oil until just golden.
- Chop all ingredients into even, bite-size pieces or smaller.
- For egg pasta dishes, reduce the sauce less, as egg pastas will absorb some of the liquid.