Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 50 mins
Bake: 50 mins
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts sliced separately
- 1 pound ham steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps thinly sliced
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 15 ouncebox refrigerated piecrust dough
- 1 10 ouncecontainer grape tomatoes, halved
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees . In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add the ham and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until their liquid is cooked off, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir into the ham mixture along with the cream cheese and scallion greens. Let cool.
- Transfer 1 tablespoon beaten egg to a small bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon water. Stir the mustard into the remaining beaten eggs and season with a pinch salt.
- Center a piecrust round over a 9-inch pie plate, pressing the dough into the sides and bottom. Fill with the ham mixture, spreading it evenly. Pour in the mustard-egg mixture, tilting the plate to distribute evenly. Cover completely with the tomato halves, cut side down.
- Place the remaining piecrust round on a lightly floured work surface. Cut into 3/4-inch strips. Place the longest strips over the center of the pie, forming a cross. Lay the remaining strips parallel to the first strips, alternating directions and spacing them evenly apart, to form a lattice top. Trim off any excess ends. Roll the rim of the bottom crust up over the lattice and crimp. Brush the top with the egg wash.
- Transfer the pie to a baking sheet and bake until the egg mixture is set, about 50 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Codorniu Brut Cava Raventos Reserva NV (Spain), Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noirs NV (California)