Cukes in creamy yogurt sauce tame the heat of these Tabasco-tinged jumbo shrimp.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 14 mins
- 5 Kirby cucumbers, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4cup plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 6 dashes Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2pounds large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. In a fine-mesh strainer, toss the cucumbers with 1 teaspoon of the salt and drain over a bowl for 15 minutes. In a small bowl, dissolve the sugar in the vinegar.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the lemon zest, 1 teaspoon of the dill, the Tabasco sauce and the olive oil. Toss the shrimp in the seasoned oil and set aside.
- Squeeze the drained cucumbers to release extra water, then place in a dry bowl and toss with the sweetened vinegar. Mix in the yogurt and the remaining 1/4 cup of dill and refrigerate.
- Grill the shrimp until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Serve the shrimp warm or at room temperature with the cold cucumber salad.
- Miguel Torres Santa Digna Sauvignon Blanc 2005 (Chile)
- Replace the Greek yogurt with low-fat sour cream.