Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Grill: 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves and stems
- 3 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pork loin roast (8-rib), chine bone removed and rib bones frenched
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 2/3 cup salted, roasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- Using a small food processor, grind the cilantro, garlic and 1 tsp. salt into a coarse paste. Place the pork fat side up and cut 1-inch-deep slits in the fat, 1 inch apart. Rub the cilantro paste on the pork and into the slits; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the EVOO and let stand at room temperature.
- Preheat a grill to medium. Place a drip pan beneath the grate. Place the pork in the center over the drip pan, close the lid and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 135 degrees , about 1 1/2 hours (off the heat, the temperature will continue to rise). Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cover the rice with water and stir until the water becomes cloudy; drain and repeat twice. Return the rice to the saucepan and add 2 cups cold water and 1 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until tender, 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, fluff with a fork and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the scallions, coconut and macadamia nuts; season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the roast into chops and serve with the rice.