A sauce of blueberries, onion, lemonand thyme is the perfect sweet-savorysidekick to hearty pork chops.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Grill: 10 mins
- 5 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 4 bone-in, 1/2-inch-thick pork chops (7 oz. each)
- 1 box (10 oz.) couscous (1 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Preheat a grill. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium-low heat; add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, thyme sprigs and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Simmer until the blueberries have released their juices and the compote has thickened, about 5 minutes. Discard the thyme sprigs and keep the sauce warm.
- Brush the pork chops with 2 tbsp. EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, for 8 to 10 minutes for medium; remove from the grill and let stand.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, prepare the couscous according to package directions. Fluff with a fork, then stir in the parsley, lemon zest and remaining 2 tbsp. EVOO. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the couscous onto plates. Add the chops and any juices and spoon the berry compote on top.
- Dont wash blueberries more than 1 day ahead of using or they may mold.