Look for Greek yogurt in your supermarket's dairy case. It's thicker and creamier than the traditional variety and will really make a difference in this recipe.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 1 1/2cups plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/2cup grated English cucumber, wrung out in a kitchen towel
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2pounds ground beef
- 1/2cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1 1/2tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Warm pita bread, for serving
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, dill and half the garlic; season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. In a medium bowl, combine the beef, remaining garlic, chopped parsley and cumin. Add salt and pepper to taste. Divide the beef mixture into 4 sections. Roll each section into a 6-inch log. Thread each log lengthwise onto two parallel skewers. Wrap your index finger and thumb around the log and lightly squeeze from top to bottom to make 4 indented rings. Rub the beef kebabs with olive oil and grill for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or to desired doneness. Top each kebab with the yogurt sauce and parsley leaves and serve on a pita.
- Sebeka Shiraz-Pinotage "Cape Blend" 2006 (South Africa)
- Use ground lamb instead of beef.