Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Grill: 10 mins
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lemon, trimmed and sliced crosswise into 8 rounds
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin steak, cut into sixteen 1-inch cubes
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, cored and cut into 8 wedges each
- 4 scallions, white portions only, cut into eight 1-inch pieces
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 teaspoon salt and the sugar; add the lemon slices and toss. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, mustard and vinegar; transfer one-third of the marinade to a medium bowl. Add the beef to the large bowl, and the tomatoes and scallions to the medium bowl; toss. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. Thread each of eight 10-inch skewers with a beef cube, lemon slice, tomato wedge, another beef cube, a scallion piece and another tomato wedge.
- Brush the grill with olive oil. Season the kebabs with salt and pepper and grill, turning occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare.
- For a smokier flavor, add 1 teaspoon chili powder to the marinade.