Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 2 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2cups ranch dressing
- 1/2cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 1/2cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place each chicken breast in a plastic bag and pound flat (about 1/2 inch thick). Cut into thin strips.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the flour and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk 1 cup of the ranch dressing with the milk, egg and Tabasco sauce.
- Working in batches, dredge the chicken strips lightly in the flour, dip into the ranch batter, then coat with flour again and transfer to a sheet of wax paper.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until rippling hot. Add enough chicken strips to cover the bottom of the pan. Fry until golden and cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a paper towellined plate. After the first batch, discard the oil, wipe the pan clean with a paper towel and heat another 3 tablespoons of oil. Fry the remaining strips, using fresh oil for each batch.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce and tomatoes with the remaining 1/2 cup of ranch dressing, or to taste. Divide among 4 plates and top with the chicken strips.
- Meridian Santa Barbara County Chardonnay 2004 (California)
- Use your favorite creamy salad dressing in place of the ranch.