Imagine a pizza crust golden and crisp. Now cross that with chicken potpie.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 25 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, skin and bones discarded
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees . In a medium bowl, melt 1 tablespoon butter in the microwave; stir in the peas and carrots and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Press the biscuit dough evenly into a greased 9- to 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Spoon the vegetables on top, reserving the bowl, then bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 7 minutes. Transfer to the reserved bowl along with the chicken and half of the cheese.
- Wipe out the skillet, add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and melt over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring continuously; stir in the remaining cheese and season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Preheat the broiler. Spoon the chicken mixture over the baked pizza and broil until golden and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Drizzle with the cheese sauce and sprinkle with the parsley.