Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 1/2 cups waffle mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 8 chicken breast cutlets (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups chunky applesauce
- In a small bowl, combine the butter with the honey; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and place a baking sheet on the middle rack. Preheat a waffle iron. In a medium bowl, stir together 2 cups of the waffle mix, 2 of the eggs, the milk and 1/3 cup of the oil until just blended. Ladle some of the batter onto the waffle iron and cook the waffle until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the oven to keep warm (do not overlap the waffles) and cook the remaining waffles.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the remaining 2 eggs. Place the remaining 1/2 cup of dry waffle mix on a plate and the bread crumbs on another plate. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
- Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. Dredge each cutlet in the dry waffle mix, dip in the beaten eggs, then coat with bread crumbs. Working in batches, fry the chicken until browned, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Warm the applesauce in a microwave on high power for about 15 seconds. Divide the chicken cutlets among 4 plates and top with half a waffle, some applesauce and the honey butter.
- Goats do Roam Goat Door Chardonnay 2005 (South Africa)
- Speed things up by cooking the chicken in two pans.