You'll stretch your dollars by buying in bulk and freezing what you don't immediately use: This chicken dinner is great either now or later.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 1 hr
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks (about 12), rinsed and patted dry
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3pound baking potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 6 cups (48 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 large egg
- 1/2cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, plus more for kneading
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Place the chicken on a rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast until the juices run clear, about 45 minutes. Let cool and then shred; discard the skin and bones.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a medium saucepan with enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then simmer until, about 45 minutes. Drain.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Pour in the broth and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, mash the potatoes with 1 teaspoon salt until almost smooth. Mix in the egg, then the flour, until combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one-third of the dough into a 3/4-inch thick log. Pinch off inch-long pieces and roll to form small disks. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Add the dumplings to the broth. Once they float, cook for 3 to 4 minutes more. Stir in the reserved chicken and season with salt and pepper. Top with the parsley.
- Place frozen raw chicken directly in the oven, just increase the cooking time by about 50 percent.