Lighten up this meatloaf by making it with ground turkey.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2/3cup ketchup
- 2/3cup bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2cup bread-and-butter pickle chips, chopped
- 1 1/2pounds ground beef
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
- 2 pounds new red potatoes
- 3/4cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet. In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, bread crumbs, eggs and pickles; mix in the onion. Crumble in the beef, add the cheese and mix together. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and shape into a 4-by-12-inch loaf. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 160 degrees , about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, halve the potatoes and place them in a large pot with enough salted water to cover by an inch. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, return to the pot and mash with the cream.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with the mashed potatoes.
- Meridian Merlot 2005 (California)
- Freeze leftovers for up to a month, then reheat in a 350 degrees oven.