Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 1 hr
Cook: 40 mins
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin
- 1/2cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/4pounds shitake mushroom caps, finely chopped
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 1/2pounds Swiss chard, stemmed
- 1 17.3ouncepackage frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a baking dish, rub the beef with 3 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic, 2 tablespoons thyme and salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Bring the meat to room temperature. Pat dry, then season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add the meat and cook until browned all over, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate; let cool for 30 minutes. Wipe out the skillet.
- In the skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the shallots and remaining 3 tablespoons thyme and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the chard until wilted, 10 seconds. Drain and rinse under cold water; pat dry.
- Lay two 18-inch long sheets of plastic wrap on a work surface, overlapping lengthwise. Lay the chard on the plastic wrap to create a rectangle large enough to enclose the meat. Spread two-thirds of the mushrooms on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Set the meat in the center. Spread the remaining mushrooms on top. Lift the corners of a long end of plastic wrap and fold the chard over the meat; fold the opposite side over to enclose. Wrap the plastic into a cylinder, twisting the ends tightly to seal. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Lay 2 puff pastry sheets on a floured surface, overlapping by half an inch. Roll out to a 15-by-18-inch rectangle; trim to form a 15-inch square. Remove the plastic wrap from the meat and center the meat on the pastry; brush the border with egg. Fold in the short ends, brush with egg, then roll up to seal. Transfer to a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet, seam side down, and brush with egg. Cut 3 vents on top. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Tent with foil and bake until a meat thermometer inserted into the center registers 125° for medium-rare, about 10 minutes more. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel Sonoma Heritage Vines 2006 (California), Firriato Nero d'Avola Chiaramonte 2006 (Italy)
- Cut leftover pastry strips into decorative shapes, press onto the crust and brush with beaten egg.