How much do we love meat sauce? Let us count the ways with a recipe that really stirs the pot.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 30 mins
- 1 pound cavatappi or elbow pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk, heated
- 3/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 cups Meat Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Whisk in the flour for 2 minutes. Increase the heat to medium, whisk in the hot milk and cook, whisking, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the feta.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat sauce, cinnamon, cloves and sugar; stir in half of the pasta. In another large bowl, stir together the feta sauce and the remaining pasta. Transfer the meat-coated pasta to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; top with the feta-coated pasta. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the layers with dried currants before baking.