Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces shrimp (about 12)peeled, deveined and chopped
- 1 cup crumbled cornbread (about two 3-inch squares)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, turning often, until half-cooked, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined dish. Add the onion, celery and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and cook until opaque, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cornbread; season with salt and pepper.
- Cut a 2-inch-wide slit through the center of each chicken breast, beginning from the thicker side and cutting horizontally toward the center to make a pocket. Fill each with one-quarter of the stuffing; press the opening to seal.
- Place 2 strips of bacon on a work surface. Lay a chicken breast crosswise on the strips and wrap the bacon around the breast; secure with toothpicks.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the wrapped chicken and cook for 3 minutes. Turn the chicken, cover the pan with a lid and cook, turning once or twice, until the bacon is crisp and the chicken is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Shake a little hot sauce into the jambalaya stuffing.