Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2/3cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1/2cup heavy cream
- Grated peel of 2 lemons (optional)
- Ice water
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks, sugar and salt on medium speed until pale and thick, about 5 minutes. With the machine on, add the olive oil in a slow stream.
- With the machine on low speed, slowly beat in the milk and cream until combined. Stir in the lemon peel, if using.
- Prepare a 2 1/2-quart bowl nested in an ice bath. Transfer the custard to a large saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring and scraping the mixture free from the bottom and sides of the pan, until just hot and steamy, about 8 minutes.
- Immediately pour the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into the prepared bowl and chill, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Refrigerate for 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Using an ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions, freeze the custard.
- Use lime or orange peel instead of lemon. Each citrus fruit brings out different flavors in the olive oil.