Makes: 30 servings
Prep: 45 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large bag (16 oz.) pretzel sticks
- 1 large bag (24 oz.) chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Chocolate sprinkles and small, round red candies, for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and 2 sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture to form a smooth dough.
- Roll out a tablespoon-size ball of dough and place it on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press 4 pretzel sticks firmly into each side of the dough ball. Repeat with the remaining dough and pretzels. Bake until the cookies start to brown around the edges, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Place a rack over a sheet of wax paper or foil. Using a spatula, carefully transfer the cookies from the cookie sheet to the racks; let cool completely.
- In a double boiler or in the microwave, melt the chocolate chips with the oil; stir to combine. Pour the melted chocolate over each cookie to coat. Cover with chocolate sprinkles. Press 2 red candies into each spider for eyes.