This dim sum staple makes a perfect Chinese New Year menu dessertor any time you make your own takeout.
Makes: 16 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups glutinous rice flour (found in the Asian food aisle)
- 1/2cup white sesame seeds
- Honey, warmed, for dipping
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil until a deep-frying thermometer reads 350 degrees .
- In a saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil; stir in the brown sugar until dissolved. Place the rice flour in a medium bowl and, using a fork, stir in the sugar syrup until a sticky dough forms.
- Place the sesame seeds in a bowl. Using your hands, roll about 2 tablespoons dough into a ball. Roll the ball in the sesame seeds; repeat with the remaining dough.
- When the oil is hot, working in batches, fry the sesame balls until golden brown, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer the sesame balls to a paper-towel-lined plate. Serve with the warm honey.