These strawberry and chocolate bonbons are a taste of heaven.
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 pint strawberries, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 25 plain vanilla cookies, such as Nilla wafers
- 1 pound dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2cup pistachios, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, simmer the strawberries and sugar over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and syrupy, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Transfer the ice cream to a large bowl; fold in 1/2 cup strawberry sauce (reserve the remaining sauce for another use). Cover and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Place the cookies flat side down on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Top each cookie with 1 small scoop of ice cream. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- In a double boiler, melt three-quarters of the chocolate. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining chocolate until melted. Dunk each bonbon into the chocolate to coat; return to the prepared baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with the pistachios. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Place a heatproof bowl over hot water to melt the chocolate.
- Pulse the strawberries and sugar in a food processor to chop.
- Use a fork to dunk each bonbon into the chocolate.