Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 3/4cups sugar
- 5 eggs plus 5 egg yolks
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/2cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees . Have ready a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan and a large roasting pan. In a heavy, medium saucepan, heat 3/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil, washing down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush if you see any sugar crystals. Boil, without stirring, until the caramel is a dark amber, swirling the pan toward the end of cooking to even out the color, about 5 minutes. Immediately pour the caramel into the loaf pan and, using pot holders, tilt to coat the bottom and 1 inch up the sides (be careful; the pan will get very hot). Place the pan on a rack to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup sugar, the eggs, egg yolks and salt. In a medium saucepan, bring the half-and-half and milk just to a simmer over medium heat. Whisking constantly, drizzle the milk mixture into the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream. Whisk in 1 tbsp. maple syrup and the vanilla.
- Pour the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into the loaf pan. Place the loaf pan in the roasting pan and place in the oven; pour enough cool water into the roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of the loaf pan. Slide a sheet of foil on top of the loaf pan (but dont wrap it). Bake until a knife inserted about 1 inch from the edge of the flan comes out clean and the center is still very jiggly, about 1 1/2 hours (the flan will set as it cools). Discard the foil and transfer the loaf pan to a rack to cool slightly.
- Refrigerate, uncovered, until thoroughly chilled and set, at least 4 hours or up to 1 day. To serve, carefully run a table knife around the edge of the pan and invert the flan onto a platter. Drizzle a few tbsp. maple syrup over the top. Cut into slices and serve with the caramel-maple sauce.