Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 1 cup rum
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 3 1/2cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- 4 large egg yolks
- In a small saucepan, cook the raisins, rum and 2 tablespoons sugar over low heat until the raisins are plump, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the rice, lower the heat and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return the rice to the saucepan. Add the milk and cream. Scrape in the vanilla seeds and add the vanilla beans. Simmer over low heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining 1 cup sugar and the egg yolks until smooth. Remove 2/3 cup hot milk mixture from the rice and pour slowly into the yolk mixture, whisking to prevent scrambling.
- Remove the vanilla beans from the rice mixture. Add the yolk mixture to the rice and cook over medium heat, whisking until slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir the rum raisins into the rice pudding. Spoon the pudding into bowls; let cool before serving.