You can use a 10-inch cake pan instead of a skilletjust prepare the brown sugar mixture in a saucepan.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Bake: 45 mins
- 1 stick (4 ounces) plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 pounds red plums, halved
- 1 1/2cups flour
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a deep, 10-inch, ovenproof skillet, melt 5 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring, until creamy. Remove from the heat and add the plums, skin side down, in a single layer.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the remaining 1 stick butter until evenly distributed. Add the eggs, milk and vanilla and stir until smooth. Spread over the plums in an even layer.
- Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in the skillet for about 25 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and invert the cake onto a platter. Let cool for 20 minutes more before cutting into wedges. Serve with whipped cream.
- Use a 10-inch cake pan instead of a skilletjust prepare the brown sugar mixture in a saucepan.