Makes: 3 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 2 pounds peaches, red plums or nectarines, sliced, or 1 1/2 pounds cherries, stemmed and pitted
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a large bowl, toss the fruit with the sugar, lemon juice and corn starch.
- In a heavy, medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the fruit mixture and bring to a boil, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Ripen peaches and nectarines at room temperature. Storing them in the refrigerator can make them mealy.
- To wash delicate berries, soak them in cold water, drain, then dry them in a single layer on a paper towel.
- In a pinch, go with frozen fruit. Its picked at its peak and beats expensive and flavorless out-of-season fresh fruit any day.
- Simmer the fruit filling with a few slices of fresh ginger or a cinnamon stick.