Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 6 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 6 chocolate-mint wafer candies, such as After Eight Thin Mints, quartered
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . Grease and flour six 6-ounce ramekins. In a double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate over simmering water, whisking until smooth. Remove the insert from the pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the whole eggs, egg yolks and granulated sugar at high speed until pale and very thick, about 8 minutes. Whisk in the chocolate mixture, then the flour until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the prepared ramekins and submerge a stack of 4 chocolate-mint pieces in the center of each. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until set but still slightly jiggly in the center, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Invert the cakes onto plates, wait 20 seconds and remove the ramekins. Dust with the confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.
- Swap it: Substitute caramels for the chocolate-mint candies.