Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 45 mins
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 4 large egg yolk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Ice water
- Green food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, milk, 1/2 cup sugar and the mint over medium heat, stirring, until almost simmering, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the salt. Add the hot liquid to the egg mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly; pour into the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until the custard thickens and registers 175 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 8 minutes.
- Strain the custard into a bowl set in an ice water bath. Stir in 1 to 2 drops food coloring, if using. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Using an ice cream machine, process the custard according to the manufacturers instructions. Fold in the chocolate chips, then transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.