Pucker up for a simple sweet-and-sour treat.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
- 4 large eggs plus 4 large yolks, beaten
- 1/4 cup finely grated lemon peel (about 3 lemons)
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Set a fine-mesh strainer over a medium heatproof bowl next to the stove. In a heavy, medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, lemon juice, eggs, egg yolks and lemon peel. Add the butter and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and simmer, stirring, until the mixture thickens and registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes. Strain the mixture into the prepared bowl, then press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface. Let cool to room temperature. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Spread on English muffins, stir into plain yogurt, use as a crepe filling, serve with pancakes and french toast or fold into whipped cream.
- Cool the lemon curd in an ice water bath.