Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 35 mins
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- Ice water
- 3 tablespoons store-bought key lime juice, such as Nellie & Joe's
- 3/4 cup chopped graham crackers
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar and the salt. In a medium saucepan, whisk the cream, milk and remaining 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat until just beginning to simmer, about 5 minutes. Add to the egg mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly, then pour into the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens and registers 175 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 8 minutes.
- Strain the custard into a bowl set in an ice water bath; stir in the key lime juice. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Using an ice cream machine, process the custard according to the manufacturers instructions. Fold in the graham crackers, then transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.