Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Grill: 30 mins
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 3/4cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4pounds cherries, pitted (4 cups)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2/3cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- In a 9-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 4 tablespoons each butter and brown sugar over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until dissolved, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cherries.
- Preheat a grill to medium. In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the buttermilk and egg.
- In a microwave, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Stir into the batter until smooth. Spoon the batter on top of the cherries and spread evenly. Place the skillet on the grill and cook, covered, until the cake is springy to the touch and golden, about 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a platter. Let cool completely before cutting.
- Soften brown sugar: Place in a bowl with an apple slice, cover and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add the finely grated peel of an orange or lemon to the cherries for extra zing.
- Can't find cherries? Just swap in fresh blueberries.
- Use a small offset spatula to spread the cornmeal batter evenly over the cherries.