A cookie crust generously piled with creamy pumpkin and caramel? Oh, yes—dessert is served.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 35 mins
Bake: 45 mins
- 24 squares chocolate graham crackers, crushed (1-1/2 cups)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg white, plus 3 whole eggs
- 2 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 28 caramel candies
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, for grating
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a small bowl, stir the graham cracker crumbs and butter until combined. Press the mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan; freeze until set, about 15 minutes. In a small bowl, beat the egg white with a fork and lightly brush on the pie shell. Bake for 10 minutes; let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the 3 whole eggs, 1 cup cream, the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt until just combined. Pour into the pie shell and bake until just set, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool slightly, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- In a bowl, microwave the caramels with 1/2 cup cream at high power until melted, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir until smooth, then let cool to room temperature.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the remaining 1 1/4 cups cream until soft peaks form. Drizzle in the caramel and beat until well blended. Spoon the caramel whipped cream on top of the pumpkin filling and refrigerate until completely chilled. Before serving, coarsely grate the chocolate on top of the pie.
- Make this pie up to one day before serving.
- Make your own pie spice with equal parts cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg.
- Brush the cookie crust with egg white to prevent it from getting soggy under the filling.
- Chill the pumpkin pie layer before topping with the caramel whipped cream.
- Stick toothpicks in the top of leftover pie before covering with plastic wrap.