Makes: 10 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Bake: 40 mins
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 1/2 cups mixed fresh berries
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees . Sift together the cake flour and confectioners sugar 3 times.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla and salt until firm peaks form. Working in thirds, add 3/4 cup granulated sugar, beating for 5 seconds between additions. Beat on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 3 minutes. Working in thirds, gently fold in the flour mixture, then fold in the coconut. Scrape into a 10-inch angel food cake pan, smoothing out the top. Bake until golden and the center of the cake springs back to the touch, about 40 minutes. Invert the cake onto a rack or the neck of a bottle and let cool in the pan completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Just before serving, whip the cream with the remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Serve the cake with the whipped cream and berries.