Start your day with a cake fresh from the oven.
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Bake: 40 mins
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 10 ounce bags frozen cherries, thawed and drained
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, using your fingers, combine 3 cups flour, the brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix in all but 2 tablespoons butter until large crumbs form; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, the egg and the buttermilk.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, the granulated sugar, baking powder and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the egg mixture and stir to form a thick, smooth batter. Fold about a third of the reserved crumb mixture into the batter; spread evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Scatter the cherries over the batter; sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture on top. Bake the cake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Make it your own
Replace the cherries with your favorite fruit.
- Grease the baking dish using a butter wrapper.
- Strain the thawed cherries.
- Use your fingers to mix the topping.