Caramel apples become the perfect after-school snack as an apple-studded cupcake with gooey caramel frosting.
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Prep: 20 mins
Bake: 30 mins
- 1 1/4cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 rome apples (about 1 pound), peeled and shredded
- 1 1/2cups chewy caramel candies
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Arrange a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees . Line a cupcake pan with baking liners. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth. Whisk in the oil and vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined; stir in the apples. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan until almost full. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- In a small, microwavable bowl, combine the caramels and cream. Microwave for 1 minute at medium power, then stir; repeat in 30-second intervals until melted and smooth. Let cool. Spread the frosting generously on the cooled cupcakes.
- Shred the apple instead of chopping it for even distribution in the batter and to keep the cupcakes moist.