A boisterous bash is perfect for the ultimate dessert, a banana split for grown-ups who still have a soft spot for fun and games.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4cup plus 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 bananas--peeled, halved lengthwise, then halved crosswise
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- In a double boiler, heat the chocolate, 1/2 cup cream and the honey, stirring, until smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and brown sugar, stirring, over medium-high heat. Whisk in 1/4 cup bourbon, the vanilla and salt. Add the bananas and cook, turning, until warm, about 3 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the remaining 1 cup cream and 1 tablespoon bourbon until soft peaks form.
- Arrange 2 banana slices and their sauce in each of 8 banana split dishes. Top each with 3 scoops vanilla ice cream and some chocolate sauce and bourbon whipped cream.