Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces frozen okra, thawed and patted dry
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, chopped
- In a medium bowl, season the flour with salt and pepper. Add the okra and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add the okra and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the okra to a plate and reserve the skillet.
- In a small saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Stir in the grits, lower the heat, cover and simmer until thickened, about 7 minutes. Stir in 4 tablespoons butter; season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in the reserved skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cayenne. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until the mixture is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, add the shrimp and simmer until the shrimp are just cooked, about 3 minutes. Stir in the okra and season with salt and pepper. Serve over the grits.
- Flour $0.02 Frozen okra $0.90 Butter $0.54 Grits $0.33 Onion $0.69 Green bell pepper $0.79 Canned tomatoes $1.67 Cayenne pepper $0.18 Shrimp $3.75 table Total: $8.87, $2.22 per person (Salt and pepper are freebies)