Satisfy your family's appetite with dinners for 10 bucks or less.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Bake: 55 mins
- 12 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 12 ounces refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 10 ouncepackage frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees . Place the garlic on a sheet of foil; drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon water. Seal and bake until soft, about 30 minutes; let cool slightly. Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins into a small bowl; add 2 teaspoons olive oil and mash into a paste.
- Meanwhile, grease a baking sheet with the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil; dust with the cornmeal. Stretch the pizza dough into a large rectangle and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes; stretch again to almost fill the pan.
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees . In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 minutes; drain and transfer to a plate. Add the spinach to the skillet and cook over low heat until warmed through; season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the pizza dough with the garlic paste. Top with the spinach and dollops of ricotta. Sprinkle with the bacon and mozzarella. Bake for 15 minutes, lower the temperature to 400 degrees and bake until the cheese is brown and bubbling, about 10 minutes.
- Pull the dough gently in all directions to loosen.
- Let the dough hang from your fingers or fists and pull it back and forth so it stretches evenly.
- Pull the dough to fit a baking sheet, stretching it as thin as you like.