Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 3 mins
Cook: 12 mins
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 bag (10 oz.) frozen sliced bell peppers
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- 7 ounces flatiron steak
- 4 hero (sub) rolls, split, some inner crumbs removed
- Position a broiler rack 4 to 5 inches from the heat, and a second rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the broiler. In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell peppers; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the vinegar, oregano and remaining 2 tbsp. EVOO. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper and broil, turning once, for about 8 minutes for medium-rare. While the steak is broiling, toast the rolls on a baking sheet on the bottom rack for 3 minutes.
- Let the steak rest for 5 minutes (if you can spare the extra time), then thinly slice. Toss with the onion and peppers, then the dressing. Serve the pepper steak in the rolls.
- This inexpensive cut of beef has tons of flavor. The real bonus? It cooks up in a flash.
- An Extra Buck Will Buy You...baby arugula. Line the bottom of the rolls with a handful of this green to add a peppery punch.