Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 32 ouncecontainer (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 1 bunch collard greens, stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 15 1/2ouncecans black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook, stirring often, until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the vegetable broth, collard greens and thyme. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, coarsely mash 1 cup black-eyed peas. Add them to the pot along with the remaining black-eyed peas and 3 cups water and simmer until the rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Freeze the stew in singleserving portions. When ready to use, thaw in the refrigerator, then heat in a saucepan over medium heat